Although many people who want to work from home didn’t go to college, there are many of you who want to put your university degree to work. You worked so hard to get it, after all, and no matter what field you studied, that degree is worth it. In today’s post, we’re talking about remote jobs that require a bachelor’s degree – or at least a preference. In many cases, these tasks will not be directly tied to a field of study. Instead, the company is only looking for a bachelor’s degree (or higher) in any subject. Many of these jobs also offer hourly rates higher than minimum wage!
Online English Tutoring
If you are a native (or fluent) English speaker, you are qualified to teach English as a second language – conversationally – to people online. Many English tutoring companies accept applicants with a bachelor’s degree in any subject. With a college degree in English, English as a Second Language (ESL), or education (including a teaching certificate), you have more online English tutoring options.
To teach English online, you need a home computer with a high-speed Internet access, a webcam and a headset with a microphone. The company you work with will likely provide you with training materials and all of your lesson plans for your students.
Online English Tutoring Opportunities:
- Kids – Teach Chinese children from 5 to 12 years old! To begin with your application, you must submit an introduction video.
- SayABC – With SayABC, you can earn up to $21 per hour for 40 minutes of your time! You also have complete freedom to set your own time.
- Rosetta Stone – As an English online language tutor with Rosetta Stone, you have to pass the voice audition process before helping students study English in short online sessions. They also prefer you to have 3-5 years of teaching experience.
As a virtual assistant, you will find that higher education opens you up to opportunities that may not be readily available to others. Also, the skills you learned in college – meeting deadlines, research and writing, communication and presentation skills, etc. – can give you the foundational experience you need to wear any of the dozen hats you can find as part of being an active and efficient executive assistant, an organized project manager, a creative social media manager, or a virtual assistant.
For the virtual assistant life to work for you, you should have high-speed Internet access on your home computer, be able to make long-distance phone calls, and be interested in learning new skills.
Opportunities to work as a Virtual Assistant:
- in the morning – Work full time with Belay and set your own hours – you can even work more than 40 hours per week, if that’s your thing! The application process requires you to pass a skills assessment.
- red butler – They offer travel services as well as executive assistants. When filling out their application, you must provide answers to two test scenarios on their application.
Test scoring is one of those industries where you need to be highly educated with hard reading skills and dedication to quality to land a remote position. In some cases, companies hiring reader/evaluators or scorers also want people who have performed well – or can perform well – on the standardized tests you’re evaluating (such as the SAT, ACT or Praxis).
To qualify for these positions, you must have a college degree and a secure home computer. You usually also need to pass a scoring test.
Test Scoring Opportunities:
- Measure Incorganized – A carefully vetted team of readers and evaluators is the pride of Measurement Inc. when it comes to the test scoring industry and they hire seasonally on a project-by-project basis. This is a fan favorite job in my community!
- Pearson – Temporary scoring positions at home are available at Pearson throughout the year; They are also a company dedicated to helping its employees achieve a healthy work-life balance.
- ETS – You can schedule your own time with ETS and should be aware that this is a part-time position – Scorers are assigned according to their availability when the test will be evaluated.
When most people look for online tutoring – often for their kids, sometimes for themselves, if they’re in college – they’re looking for someone with the best credentials related to the subject they’re teaching. If you need tutoring in history, you want help from a history teacher or at least someone with a college degree in history, right? Companies that hire tutors think so too, and require their prospective employees or independent contractors to hold certain degrees. And if you tutor adults or children to take certain standardized tests, you must score very high on those tests to qualify as a tutor.
Opportunities of Online Tutoring:
- Preparing for revolution – If you have skills in science, languages or high level mathematics, there is a strong need for your services in revolution preparation! They also require a bachelor’s degree but prefer an advanced degree – and want you to commit to at least one year of full-time employment with them.
- Kaplan – If you feel strongly about the value of academia and have tested in the 90th percentile or higher for the various standardized test preps you want to teach, there may be a place for you at Kaplan!
Translator, Linguist and Interpreter
Working as a translator, linguist or interpreter requires some pretty refined language skills: unless you’ve been bilingual since childhood, you’ve probably studied languages at university to develop the advanced skills you need in a language other than your mother tongue. When a company needs someone for an incredibly important task of translating text or speech, or someone needs a fast interpreter, you want someone who has spent years studying the languages in question. This industry doesn’t even have to involve languages outside of English – perhaps you’re a linguist who has studied language impairment, and so a speech-language pathologist could offer your services – when you study languages, the opportunities for remote employment are vast – wide and varied!
Opportunities for Translators, Linguists and Interpreters:
- Vocovision – If you have previously worked in a school district, VocoVision is hiring a Remote Speech-Language Pathologist to assist students with assessment, evaluation and diagnosis of speech, voice, hearing and language impairments.
- Appen – If you’re interested in contributing to pronunciation guidelines for regional English pronunciation, creating natural language processing code for your native language, or even collecting voice data, keep an eye out for app openings!
One of the most popular industries for remote work right now is accounting and bookkeeping – the sheer number of startups and small businesses starting and growing every day means a ridiculous number of business owners don’t want to spend time trying to actually learn how to finance themselves. . Time is money, and most people would rather do what they do best than hire a skilled and educated accountant to make sure their finances are in order. To feel comfortable turning over their books to a remote accountant, of course, they’ll want to make sure you have a degree in accounting, finance, or a related field. There is good money to be made here!
Scope of Accounting:
- Addison Group – As a job placement provider, Addison Group Recruiters specializes in hiring people for finance and accounting positions and will help you find a job with a focus on everything from AP/AR professionals to procurement and billing specialists.
- 1-800 Accountant – Remote Accountant: Work directly with clients in a 1-800 Accountant position such as Tax, where you will need CPA certification (or EA license), at least 2-5 years of experience preparing tax returns and experience in entity formation for startups.
Even if you’re not interested in one of the fields above — or a job in your field of study — many of my followers say they feel their degree makes them a stronger and more attractive work-from-home applicant. If you have a degree, you should be proud and use it at every opportunity. If you get it, cheer it up! Sound off with your degree below, and tell me what kind of remote jobs you’re looking for!