There is a lot of chatter these days about the benefits of working from home. However, not everyone is keen to mix the comforts of home with their workplace. If you’re looking for a career or even a side hustle that takes you away from home and back into the hustle and bustle of the world, look no further than an opportunity. Drive for Amazon Flex.
What is the Amazon Flex program?
So glad you asked. Amazon Flex is a delivery service where Flex drivers use their vehicles to deliver packages from Amazon. Drivers are considered independent contractors (not employees) and pick shifts on their own schedules. Drivers use the Amazon Flex app and choose delivery blocks available in their area. Each offer through the app details the potential earnings of the blocks available. Amazon Flex pay for most delivery partners ranges from $18-$25 per hour.
Getting Started with Amazon Flex
To become an Amazon Flex driver, you need to download the app, set up your account and search for deliveries located near you. You will then proceed to your designated pickup location to pick up the packages. The app is your guide and will help you navigate to each destination, deliver packages and proceed to the next stop.
Much like food delivery apps in the gig economy like Uber Eats, DoorDash and Instacart, you get paid only when your delivery is complete. Amazon Flex pays you via direct deposit on any weekday you choose, and you can track your payments in the Earnings section of the app. This is an easy way to earn extra money.
As for onboarding, everything is done in the app and takes less than an hour. Once completed, you can receive approval to begin delivery in less than a week. They need a driver’s license, social security number, banking details and details of your car insurance or auto insurance policy. Amazon does a background check with a two- to five-business day turnaround.
Criteria for earning a side gig with Amazon Flex:
- You must live a the city Where Amazon Flex is available.
- You must be 21 or older.
- You must have a valid driving license.
- You must have your own car and it must be medium or large. (Typically, a 4-door, mid-size sedan or larger. Think SUV, van or truck with a covered bed. This may seem quite logical as it would be very difficult to make many deliveries on a motorcycle or scooter. Sadly, I can (Do not include my mental image of driving a vehicle with the balance of the package while riding the Vespa.)
- You must have an iPhone or Android smartphone.
- That’s it!
What kind of delivery do you provide?
As an Amazon Flex Delivery Driver, you will deliver Amazon orders. Specifically:
- Amazon.com – You pick up packages from an Amazon delivery station and deliver them to customers. The delivery block is about three to six hours.
- Amazon Prime Now and Amazon Fresh – You pick up groceries and household items from an Amazon delivery station and deliver them to customers. Delivery block is two to four hours.
- Store Orders: You pick up orders from local stores and deliver them to customers. Blocks of two to four hours.
- Instant Offers – These are deliveries close to your starting location. Blocks are usually 15-45 minutes.
When stopping delivery, you will deliver to the customer’s residence. Common drop-off locations include the front or back door,
Amazon Flex Rewards
Amazon Flex Rewards is a thank-you program for delivery drivers. With Amazon Flex Rewards, you can earn cash back with the Amazon Flex Debit Card, enjoy preferred schedules, and access thousands of discounts as well as tools to navigate things like insurance and taxes.
Delivery drivers earn points by completing blocks and making deliveries. Rewards include cashback on Amazon Flex Debit Card, preferred schedules, discounts, etc. There are also different tiers of rewards that offer extended discounts.
Amazon Flex employees can use the Stride app to access their discounts.
A few things to note:
- Thinking of bringing a furry companion to keep you company while you deliver? Pets, other than service animals, must have no interaction with customers and cannot be with you while making deliveries.
- You can have a passenger, but there are rules. For example, passengers cannot get out of their cars Amazon.com Passengers cannot drive while the station is delivering you.
- You don’t have a uniform. You may want to wear a reflective jacket, which can be picked up at a delivery station. You’ll want to make sure you have a phone charger. the amazon Also suggests bringing flashlights, water and snacks, a rain poncho, gloves and a cart or dolly.
- Amazon Flex, like Lyft drivers or Uber drivers, must keep track of their expenses since you’re an independent contractor. The good news is that you’ll be able to write off their mileage costs.
Also See: Other Opportunities Like Amazon Flex?
Is Amazon Flex worth it?
If you want a flexible side gig that pays around $20 an hour on average, you’ll also need to consider gas prices, as Amazon doesn’t reimburse you for any driving expenses.
So, this is a good side gig if your car is fuel efficient and you prefer delivering packages instead of delivering food or being a rideshare driver.
Can You Make Amazon Flex a Full-Time Gig? It depends on how many other flex drivers there are in your area. As more people learn about it, Amazon Flex Blocks is becoming more competitive.
This can be an easy way to earn some extra cash quickly with minimal hassle
The bottom line is that Amazon Flex pays a higher average minimum wage and doesn’t require prior experience, a degree, or any special skills.