This post is sponsored by Policy Genius.
The clock is ticking to secure the January 31st deadline Health insurance In 2017. We all know the importance of health insurance – protecting your assets in the event of a catastrophic medical event and ensuring you receive the highest quality care when you need it. When you’re self-employed, choosing health insurance coverage often falls on your shoulders. Heading through the options, insurance jargon and costs can be overwhelming and discouraging.
Before you jump in and choose one Health insurance Plan blindly, 3 important things you need to factor into your decision to protect your wallet:
- Do you have your preferred doctor in your network?
- Do you think about needing a referral to see a specialist this year?
- Which drugs do you absolutely need to cover in your plan?
All three factors can affect your premium (the amount you pay your insurer out of pocket each month). You’ll need to make some important decisions during your shopping process based on your specific needs to bring this price down, but don’t sacrifice too much or you’ll end up paying more for your deductibles, copays, and more. Pocket maximum then you save at the end of the year.
With all these financial terms and jargon used by insurers, I set out to find a better way to buy health insurance. And, I found out, Policy Genius. They use plain English explanations for each step and lay out all the options for you in an easy to understand way.
When you go through the PolicyGenius health insurance app, they’ll help you set your budget first with recommendations based on personal finance industry standards. From there you’ll use a sliding scale to adjust your premiums and deductibles to what you’ve already budgeted for these categories (or guess what I do until you get a good mix that works for you). Next, the questionnaire will prompt you to enter your current doctor and any medications you are currently prescribed. Then, you rank each of these features as a “must have” or “very good” option, which is the most interesting part of the shopping process. PolicyGenius actually helps you prioritize your health insurance needs so you can understand which plans or cost benefits you can get by flexing on certain benefits.
Then, less than 5 minutes into the process, Policy Genius Presents you with your best results. The results are easily comparable and reminiscent of shopping for a hotel room or dress on one of my favorite sites. You don’t have to dig into plan details and read jargon-heavy PDFs to figure out if a plan has any extra benefits that are important to you – Polysignius puts it front and center for you.
The user-friendly system will help you every step of the way:
- When you are comparing plans, Policy Genius Health insurance app will rank your essentials and niceties. That way, you’ll be able to see what’s really important to you; If you want to continue seeing Dr. Smith but you find that he is covered by a plan that is just out of your budget, you may be willing to compromise and choose a plan that is in your price range and includes your essentials and most of your beauty. Stuff (even if Dr. Smith is excluded).
- With the PolicyGenius app, you’ll have access to Most health insurance plans are available on and off the exchange. All health insurance plans are supported with simple English explanation of benefits, transparent shopping options and smart decision tools.
- The PolicyGenius Health Insurance app focuses on the customer journey and leans heavily on their deep expertise in the industry to clarify and educate buyers throughout the process – so you know what you’re buying.
- Handy sliders let you adjust the premiums and deductibles you can afford/pay when identifying must-haves and nice-to-haves.
The Policy Genius The app is free to use. You don’t even have to register. Now that is a great system! Visit PolicyGenius to start your health insurance shopping.