Are you looking for a remote chat agent job where you don’t have to talk on the phone? Keep reading; This post has you covered.
When I was in college, I worked for a telemarketing company. Although the gig itself was flexible and paid well, it exhausted me. Often, people don’t want to talk on the phone (which I get), so I have to deal with their anger, irritation, and lots of curse words and hang-ups.
Over time, I dreaded going to work. After college, I worked for Medicaid doing pre-authorizations for nursing visits and home medical equipment. Again, I was on the phone for a long time dealing with disgruntled providers — no fun!
While many work-at-home jobs are phone-based, the Internet has opened up a new breed of customer service that doesn’t require being on the phone. In fact, live customer service chat is becoming more and more popular every day. Some of these chat agent jobs require background knowledge in a specific area, and many of them require you to type a certain number of words per minute, so make sure you read all the fine print before applying.
What are the requirements to become a chat agent?
To become an online chat agent, most companies require applicants to have a high school diploma or GED, excellent written communication skills, and fast and accurate typing speed. Many companies require at least one year of customer service experience; However, there are some companies that will hire freshers without any experience. You’ll also need a computer or laptop, a hard-wired, reliable Internet connection, and a quiet workspace free of distractions.
13 Chat Agent Jobs You Can Do From Home
Remote chat agent jobs are in high demand. There are usually more applicants than open positions. If you are ready to become a chat agent, you should check with these companies frequently to see if any new openings arise. If they offer email job alerts, I recommend signing up for them so you don’t miss any new openings.
1. chat shop – Live chat agent
- You must be a fast and accurate typist (65 WPM to 80 WPM) with excellent communication skills.
- Chat Shop only hires in the UK, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee and Texas.
- According to Glassdoor.com, the average salary is $21 an hour; This is the W2 position.
- Online chat associates are responsible for providing basic and technical support to complex customers.
- Employed in most US states as well as worldwide locations.
- Salary at least $10 per hour; This is the introduction to the W2.
- Applicants must be music lovers and have a passion for helping people.
- You’ll need a high school diploma or GED and at least two years of experience.
- You should be able to type 30 words per minute (WPM).
- Use the keyword remote when you are searching on their website.
4. direct conversation – Support Hero
- You will need fast and accurate typing skills, at least 40 WPM.
- Must have perfect command of English language.
- Employs part-time social media agents to perform tasks such as social media moderation, customer support, engagement and monitoring.
- Must have 2-3 years of experience in online moderation and strong typing skills.
- The average salary is $20 per hour.
- Mod contributors specialize in digital engagement, such as curating content, chatting with customers, managing communities, checking bugs, and updating social media.
- In this role, you will work as an independent contractor.
- The average salary is $21 per hour.
Related Topics: Work at Home Jobs: Forum and Chat Moderators
- Chat online and text with LGBTQ youth who need emotional support.
- Must have excellent, quick and strong communication skills.
- They rent in the US and Mexico and are open 24/7, 365 days a year.
- These are W2 positions that come with benefits.
8. Outplex – Customer service representative
- Must be able to type 30-50 WPM with zero errors.
- You need a high school diploma and a Windows operating system.
- Must have excellent spelling, grammar and communication skills.
- Recruits remote workers in the United States, Colombia and the Dominican Republic.
- The average salary is $18 per hour.
9. Site 123 – Sales Chat Expert
- Must be tech-savvy and understand the website builder field.
- You must have proven experience in sales and customer service.
- Must have knowledge of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- You must be based in the US and have a college education.
- Must be able to type 65-75+ WPM.
- You must have excellent punctuation, grammar and spelling.
11. Seattle Group – Customer service representative
- W2 hires full-time and part-time employees to provide customer service to brands around the world.
- Some jobs may include phone work, but I think you can specify during the application process that you prefer chat, email and social correspondence.
- Must have a Windows operating desktop computer or laptop, high-speed Internet connection and a USB headset.
- The average pay rate is $17 per hour.
- Sitel does not accept applicants from California, Washington, or New York.
12. grasshopper – Travel Experience Agent
- Recruiting full-time agents with at least two years of experience using global distribution systems (Sabre, Apollo, or Amadeus).
- In this role, you will support customers using email and chat.
- Hopper offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits including health insurance.
13. Upwork – Chat Support Specialist Jobs
Upwork is a freelance marketplace where freelancers can connect with companies that need their skills. With Upwork, you can create a profile that showcases your skills and expertise, and you can browse freelance assignments on the site and submit bids for the gigs you want to work on.
One chat agent job I found was for a chat agent to answer questions about insurance via text, email and their app and the pay rate was $12.50-$22.00 an hour.
Upwork charges a fee to use their platform, and the rates can be seen below:
- $0-$500 Earnings – 20% Service Fee
- Earnings of $500.01-$10,000 – 10% Service Fee
- Earnings of $10,000.01 or more – 5% service fee
Online chat is another way to find jobs
If you’re browsing the web and notice that a website has a live chat agent box function, check out their careers page and see if they hire remote chat agents. Some companies use third-party recruiters to fill their chat agent positions, but others hire in-house. And some chat agent functions are automated through artificial intelligence (AI), but it’s worth exploring if the company is hiring. You can usually find a link to the company’s career page in the footer of their website.
Another way to explore is through staffing websites Robert Hough, Cond, Kelly ServicesAnd Adecco. Not only do they have remote job opportunities, but you can also find those one-time job opportunities for chat support agents.
Can you handle a little phone work?
If you are looking for more chat agent jobs, check out Flexjobs – There are many of them to choose from. Just make sure you read the job description thoroughly. Many live chat agent jobs require some phone support, so if you’re against being on the phone, you’ll want to make sure the position is 100% online chat, email and social media.
It’s okay if you answer some inbound phone calls, the company prefers 5CAapple, Global Response, NexRep, Omni Interaction, OneSupport, Smith.aiAnd Wrk Offer home chat work by combining phone, email, chat and social media work.
Get Paid for Sexting?
A word of caution: phone actresses chat agent jobs are sex chat operator jobs. If you run across these job postings, I’d love to know what you’re applying for. I do not cover this opportunity on site or phone sex work. If you are interested in working as a chat sex operator from home, WAH Adventures There is a list of recruiting companies.
As more companies go online with their business, the more work-from-home chat agent jobs will become available. I will continue to update this list as new jobs pop up.
Do you have a remote chat support job? What company did you work for? Drop us a note; We would love to hear from you!
Originally published on January 21, 2015. Content updated February 2023.